[Dovecot] change smtp port

Jacek Osiecki joshua at hybrid.pl
Tue Jan 24 13:51:28 EET 2012

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012, Charles Marcus wrote:

> On 2012-01-23 11:14 AM, Noel <noeldude at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  If your problem is that your Internet Service Provider is blocking
>>  port 25, you can contact them.  Some ISPs will unblock port 25 on
>>  request, or might even have an online form you can fill out.
> The OP specifically said that *he* had changed the port from 25 to 587...
> obviously he doesn't understand how smtp works...

Most probably he wanted to enable his users to send emails via his mail
server using port 587, because some may have blocked access to port 25.

Proper solution is to open additionally port 587 and require users to
authenticate in order to send mails through the server. If it is too
complicated in postfix, admin can simply map port 587 to 25 - most
probably that would work well.

Best regards,
--
Jacek Osiecki joshua at ceti.pl GG:3828944
I don't want something I need. I want something I want.