[Dovecot] change smtp port

Tue Jan 24 16:58:29 EET 2012

On 2012-01-24 7:51 AM, Amira Othman <a.othman at cairosource.com> wrote:
> Thanks for reply
>
> The problem that ISP for some reason port 25 is not stable and refuse
> connection for several times so I tried to change port to 587 instead
> of 25 to keep sending emails. And I though that I can stop using port
> 25 as it's not always working from ISP

As I said, you obviously do not understand how smtp works. This is made
obvious by your questions, and failure to understand that port 25 is
*the* port for receiving email on the public internet. Period.

If your main problem with port 25 is *sending* (relaying outbound)
mails, then you will need to take this up with your ISP. If they are
unable or unwilling to address the problem, one option would be to setup
your system to relay through some other smtp relay service on the
internet using port 587 as you apparently read somwehere, but you don't
do this by changing the main smtpd daemon to port 587, because as you
discovered, you won't be able to receive *any* emails like this.

That said, I fail to see any relevance to dovecot in this thread...

--

Best regards,

Charles