[Dovecot] Test suite?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jan 28 01:15:53 EET 2012

On 28.1.2012, at 0.57, Kyle Lafkoff wrote:

> I am building a RPM for dovecot. Is there a test suite available I could use during the build to verify proper functionality? Thanks!

It would be nice to have a proper finished test suite testing all kinds of functionality. Unfortunately I haven't had time to write such a thing, and no one's tried to help creating one.

There is "make check" that you can run, which goes through some unit tests, but it's not very useful in catching bugs.

There is also imaptest tool (http://imapwiki.org/ImapTest), which is very useful in catching bugs. I've been planning on creating a comprehensive test suite by creating Dovecot-specific scripts for imaptest and running them against many different Dovecot configurations (mbox/maildir/sdbox/mdbox formats each against different kinds of namespaces, as well as many other tests). That plan has existed several years now, but unfortunately only in my head.

Perhaps soon I can hire someone else to do that via my company. :)