[Dovecot] Migration to multi-dbox and SiS

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jan 29 01:53:59 EET 2012

On 29.1.2012, at 1.16, Ronald MacDonald wrote:

> Around the time of the last re-build (2010), there had been some discussion on single instance storage, which was quite new on Dovecot around then. I chickened out of setting it up though. Now with it having been in the wild for a couple of years, I wonder, how have people found SiS to behave? Additionally, though there was talk of the prospect of it being merged with 2.x am I right in thinking it's not yet in the main project? Couldn't find any 2.x changelogs that could confirm this.

It's in v2.0 and used by at least a few installations. Apparently it works quite well. As long as you have a pretty typical setup it should work fine. It gets more complex if you want to spread the data across multiple mount points. Backups may also be more difficult, since filesystem snapshots are pretty much the only 100% safe way to do them.

BTW. SIS, not SiS ("Instance", not "in")