[Dovecot] XFS Developer Takes Shots At Btrfs, EXT4

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sun Jan 29 02:25:50 EET 2012

On 1/28/2012 9:48 AM, Adrian Minta wrote:
> Nice article about XFS improvements:
> http://tinyurl.com/7pvr9ju

The "article" is strictly a badly written summary of the video.  But,
the video was great.  Until watching this I'd never seen Dave in a photo
or video, though I correspond with him regularly on the XFS list.  Nice
to finally put a face and voice to a name.

One of many reasons the summary is badly written is the use of present
tense when referring to XFS deficiencies, specifically the part about
EXT4 being 20-50x faster with some metadata operations.  The author
writes as if this was the current state of affairs right up to Dave's
recent presentation.  The author misread or misinterpreted the slides or
Dave's speech, and apparently has no personal knowledge of Linux
filesystem development.  This 20-50x EXT4 advantage disappeared in 2009,
almost 3 years ago.  I've mentioned many of these "new" improvements on
this list over the past 2-3 years.  They're not "new".

We have an "author" writing about something he knows nothing about, and
making lots of mistakes in his summary.  This seems to be a trend with
Phoronix.  They are decided desktop-only oriented.  Thus when they
attempt to write about the big stuff they fail badly.

And the title?  Juvenile attempt to draw readers.  Pretty pathetic.  The
"article" was all about Dave's presentation.  Dave's 50 minute
presentation took 2 "shots" of 10-15 seconds each at EXT4 and BTRFS.  A
better title would have been simply something like "XFS dev details
improvements at Linux.Conf.Au 2012."

--
Stan