[Dovecot] force-resync fails to recover all messages in mdbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 31 17:59:07 EET 2012

On 31.1.2012, at 17.48, Lauri Alanko wrote:

> $ doveadm search all | wc
>  93236  186472 3625098
..
> Then I removed all the indices and rebuilt them:
>
> $ doveadm search all | wc
>  43864   87728 1699590
>
> Somehow dovecot lost over half of the messages!

There may be a bug, and I just yesterday noticed something weird in the rebuilding code. I'll have to look into that. But anyway, "search all" isn't the proper way to test this. Try instead with:

doveadm fetch guid all | sort | uniq | wc

When you removed indexes Dovecot no longer knew about copies of messages.