[Dovecot] Maildir migration and uids

David Jonas djonas at vitalwerks.com
Tue Jan 3 21:14:28 EET 2012

On 12/29/11 5:35 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 22.12.2011, at 3.52, David Jonas wrote:
>
>> I'm in the process of migrating a large number of maildirs to a 3rd
>> party dovecot server (from a dovecot server). Tests have shown that
>> using imap to sync the accounts doesn't preserve the uidl for pop3 access.
>>
>> My current attempt is to convert the maildir to mbox and add an X-UIDL
>> header in the process. Run a second dovecot that serves the converted
>> mbox. But dovecot's docs say, "None of these headers are sent to
>> IMAP/POP3 clients when they read the mail".
>
> That's rather complex.

Thanks, Timo. Unfortunately I don't have shell access at the new dovecot
servers. They have a migration tool that doesn't keep the uids intact
when I sync via imap. Looks like I'm going to have to sync twice, once
with POP3 (which maintains uids) and once with imap skipping the inbox.
Ugh.

>> Is there any way to sync these maildirs to the new server and maintain
>> the uids?
>
> What Dovecot versions? dsync could do this easily. You could simply install the dsync binary even if you're using Dovecot v1.x.

Good idea with dsync though, I had forgotten about that. Perhaps they'll
do something custom for me.