[Dovecot] failed: Too many levels of symbolic links

David Egbert david at paperclipsystems.com
Fri Jan 6 22:44:51 EET 2012

All,
My dovecot install works great except for one error I keep seeing this
in my logs.  The folder has 7138 messages in it.  I am informed the user
they needed to reduce the number of messages in the folder and believe
this will fix the problem.  My question is about where the problem
lies.  Is the problem related to an internal limit with Dovecot v2.0.15
or with my Debian (3.1.0-1-amd64)?

Thanks
---
dovecot: imap(XXXXX at XXXXX.com): Error:
readdir(/XXXX/XXXX/XXXXXXXXX/XXXXX/XXXXXXX/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/XXX)
failed: Too many levels of symbolic links

David Egbert
Paperclip Systems, LLC

---
This message, its contents, and attachments are confidential and are only authorized for the intended recipient.  Disclosure, re-distribution, or use of said information is strictly prohibited, and may be excluded from disclosure by applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, or their intermediary, please notify the sender and delete this message.