[Dovecot] per-user limit?

Peter Hessler phessler at theapt.org
Mon Jan 16 11:15:21 EET 2012

I am seeing a problem where users are limited to 6 imap logins total.
One of my users has a bunch of phones and computers, and wants them all
on at the same time.

I'm looking through my configuration, and I cannot see a limit on how
many times a single user can connect.  He is connecting from different
IPs.

Any ideas?  My logs show the following error when they attempt to auth
for a 7th time:

dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (no auth attempts): rip=111.yy.zz.xx, lip=81.209.183.113, TLS

$ dovecot -n
# 2.0.16: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: OpenBSD 5.1 amd64  ffs
auth_mechanisms = plain login
base_dir = /var/dovecot/
listen = *, [::]
mail_location = maildir:/usr/home/%u/Maildir
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
passdb {
  driver = bsdauth
}
service auth {
  unix_listener /var/run/dovecot/auth-master {
    mode = 0600
  }
    group = wheel
    mode = 0660
    user = _postfix
  }
  user = root
}
service imap-login {
  process_limit = 128
  process_min_avail = 6
  service_count = 1
  user = _dovecot
}
service pop3-login {
  process_limit = 64
  process_min_avail = 6
  service_count = 1
  user = _dovecot
}
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/dovecotcert.pem
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
protocol pop3 {
  pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
}
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = sieve
  postmaster_address = postmaster at theapt.org
}

--
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
		-- Oscar Wilde