[Dovecot] Trying to get metadata plugin working

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Mon Jan 16 17:51:45 EET 2012

Hi,

I'm working on a Kolab related project and wanted to use dovecot on my dev
machine. However I'm stuck with the metadata-plugin. I "solved" the
permissions problems but now I get

dict: Error: file dict commit: file_dotlock_open(~/Maildir/shared-metadata)
failed: No such file or directory

Before that, I had
dict {
  metadata = file:/var/lib/dovecot/shared-metadata

but got problems since my normal user had no permission to access
/var/lib/dovecot.
I compiled the plugin from the most recent commit.
My dovecot runs in a chroot. I can login with KMail and can create Groupware
(annotated) folders, but the metadata file dict won't get created and I also
can't set/get metadata via telnet.

doveconf -N
# 2.0.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.1.0-1-amd64 x86_64 Debian 6.0.3
auth_mechanisms = plain
dict {
  metadata = file:~/Maildir/shared-metadata
}
mail_access_groups = dovecot
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_plugins = " metadata"
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
plugin {
  metadata_dict = proxy::metadata
}
protocols = " imap"
service dict {
  unix_listener dict {
    group = dovecot
    mode = 0666
  }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = " metadata imap_metadata imap_annotatemore"
}

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro