[Dovecot] where is subscribed list stored?

Michael Makuch mikedvct at makuch.org
Sun Jan 22 15:55:02 EET 2012

I'm using

$ /usr/sbin/dovecot --version
2.0.15

on

$ cat /etc/fedora-release
Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)

and version 8 of Thunderbird.

I use dovecot locally for internal only access to my email archives, of which I
have many gigs of email archives. Over time I end up subscribing to a couple
dozen different IMAP email folders. Problem is that periodically my list of
subscribed folders get zapped to none, and I have to go and re-subscribe to a
dozen or two folders again.

Anyone seen this happen? It looks like the list of subscribed folders is here
~/Mail/.subscriptions and I can see in my daily backup that it reflects what
appears in TBird. What might be zapping it? I use multiple email clients
simultaneously on different hosts. (IOW I leave them open) Is this a problem?
Does dovecot manage that in some way? Or is that my problem? I don't think this
is the problem since this only occurs like a few times per year. If it were the
problem I'd expect it to occur much more frequently.

Thanks for any clues
Mike