[Dovecot] auth-worker temporary failures causing lmtp 500 rejection

Mark Zealey mark.zealey at webfusion.com
Thu Jan 26 12:14:57 EET 2012

Hi there,

I'm using dovecot 2.0.16 with a mysql user database. From time to time
when we have a big influx of messages (perhaps more than 30 concurrent
rcpt to:<> sessions at the same time so no auth-workers free?) or when
we have a transient issue connecting to the database server, we see the
message:

Jan 25 16:38:23 mailbox dovecot: auth-worker: sql(foo at bar.com,1.2.3.4):
Unknown user

and the lmtp process returns:

550 5.1.1 <foo at bar.com> User doesn't exist: foo at bar.com

This would be correct for a permanent error where the user doesn't exist
in our database, however it seems to be doing this on transient errors
too. Is this an issue with the code or perhaps some setting I have missed?

Thanks,

Mark