[Dovecot] maildir vs mdbox

Jean-Daniel Beaubien jd.beaubien at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 17:59:39 EET 2012

Hi,

I am planning on running on test between maildir and mdbox to see which is
a better fit for my use case. And I'm just looking for general
advice/recommendation. I will post any results I obtain here.

Important question: I have multiple users hitting the same email account at
the same time. Can be a problem with mdbox? (either via thunderbird or with
custom webmail apps). I remember having huge issues with mbox a decade ago
because of this. Maildir fixed this... will mdbox reintroduce this problem?
This is a very important point for me.

Here is my use case:

- Ubuntu server (any specific recommandations on FS to use?)
- Standard PC hardware (core i5 or i7, few gigs of ram, hdds at first,
probably ssd afterwards, nothing very fancy)
- Serving only a hand full of email accounts but some of the accounst have
over 3 millions emails in them (with individual mail folders having 100k+
emails)
- Will use latest dovecot (2.1 when it comes out)
- fts-lucene or fts-solr?

-jd