[Dovecot] UTF-8 mailbox name STATUS response

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jul 2 12:25:44 EEST 2012

On 2.7.2012, at 12.07, Ewald Dieterich wrote:

> STATUS in Dovecot 2.1.7 returns the UTF-8 decoded folder name in a
> string literal:
>
> . CREATE "INBOX.Euro &IKw-"
> . OK Create completed.
> . LIST "" "INBOX.Euro &IKw-"
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Euro &IKw-"
> . STATUS "INBOX.Euro &IKw-" (MESSAGES)
> * STATUS {14}
> INBOX.Euro € (MESSAGES 0)
> . OK Status completed.
>
> Is this intended? My Perl script based on Mail::IMAPTalk doesn't like
> it and I wonder if there are other clients that don't cope with it.

Most likely that mailbox exists like that in the filesystem. It shouldn't. Dovecot hasn't allowed creating those for several years now. There's no good way to handle that, because even if Dovecot translated it to mUTF-7 it couldn't access the mailbox because it wouldn't exist as mUTF-7 in the filesystem..