[Dovecot] Outlook 2010 very slow when using IMAP - are there any tweaks?

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 17:51:34 EEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Mailing List SVR
<lists at svrinformatica.it> wrote:
> Il 02/07/2012 16:34, Kaya Saman ha scritto:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> though this is a bit of a side question, has anybody had an issue
>> while running Outlook 2010 with Dovecot?
>>
>> The reason why I am asking is that I have setup a Dovecot 2.1.7 server
>> on FreeBSD which works fantastically with Thunderbird but Outlook
>> seems to be twice as slow in transferring information across??
>>

>> # dovecot -n
>> # 2.1.7: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>> # OS: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE amd64
>> auth_debug = yes
>> auth_mechanisms = plain ntlm login
>> auth_use_winbind = yes
>> auth_username_format = %n
>> auth_verbose = yes
>> auth_winbind_helper_path = /usr/local/bin/ntlm_auth
>> disable_plaintext_auth = no
>> info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-info.log
>> log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
>> mail_gid = mail_user
>> mail_home = /mail/AD_Mail/%Ld/%Ln
>> mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
>> mail_uid = mail_user
>> passdb {
>>    args = failure_show_msg=yes
>>    driver = pam
>> }
>> pop3_fast_size_lookups = yes
>> pop3_lock_session = yes
>> pop3_no_flag_updates = yes
>> protocols = imap pop3
>> ssl = no
>> userdb {
>>    driver = static
>> }
>>

>> Since (like most corporate organizations out there) we solely run
>> Outlook coupled to Exchange, this excersize was meant to be a way of
>> getting rid of PST files. We don't run out own Exchange however, and
>> don't have any control over it either.
>>

>> My workaround was to simply use the Outlook GUI space to transfer
>> emails between Exchange and Dovecot running the IMAPv4 protocol.
>>

>> For whatever reason Outlook is being really garbage about dealing with
>> stuff and since I don't know Outlook or MS products very well (being
>> your typical average OpenSource guy) I was wondering if there were any
>> tweaks that could be made within Outlook to speed it up or in Dovecot
>> to work better with Outlook?
>>

>> I guess one could get sidetracked into the argument of mdbox vs.
>> Maildir from my config however, Thunderbird is really fast and
>> transfers large amounts of data really easily. Reaches round 130Mbps
>> using nload performance grapher, while Outlook only manages ~50kbps
>> but spikes at 2-3Mbps on occassion.
>

> Try to understand (from dovecot logs) if there are difference between
> outlook and thunderbird, for example outlook connect over ssl and
> thunderbird no ecc..
>
> Nicola

Hi Nicola,

there is no specific difference apart from seeing many of these errors:

Jun 26 15:10:11 imap(<user>): Error: Index
/mail/AD_Mail//<user>/Maildir/.Archive/dovecot.index: Lost log for
seq=2 offset=77008
Jun 26 15:10:11 imap(<user>): Warning: fscking index file
/mail/AD_Mail//<user>/Maildir/.Archive/dovecot.index
Jun 26 15:10:11 imap(<user>): Error: Fixed index file
/mail/AD_Mail//<user>/Maildir/.Archive/dovecot.index: log_file_seq 2
-> 3
Jun 26 15:10:26 auth: Error: Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0xa2088207
Jun 26 15:10:26 auth: Error: Got user=[<user>] domain=[]
workstation=[WKS-41] len1=24 len2=278
Jun 26 15:10:26 auth: Error: Login for user []\[<user>]@[WKS-41]
failed due to [Reading winbind reply failed!]
Jun 26 15:10:32 auth: Error: Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0xa2088207

Regards,

Kaya