[Dovecot] Outlook 2010 very slow when using IMAP - are there any tweaks?

Gedalya gedalya at gedalya.net
Mon Jul 2 19:50:00 EEST 2012

On 07/02/2012 12:06 PM, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>>> No policy can override truth and facts.
>>>

>> I'm not going to comment other than say that this sub-thread probably
>> needs to continue on:
>>
>> alt.flames.anti-microsoft.linux.jihad
>
> no. no jihad. No linux actually (i don't use linux).
>
> That's fact.
> If someone want to use outlook then fine, but should not expect anyone
> else than microsoft to fix it's problems and speed.
>
> It is nothing to do with dovecot.
>
> All my experience with that shit now is remote.
>
> I quite often handle complaints from users that
>
> a) "my mail wasn't delivered to somebody."
>
> After checking logs i found that recipent's server received mail with
> success. But mail disappeared then.
>
> Sometimes reappeared after a week, sometimes many times, or never ;)
>

> The reason was microsoft exchange on recipient side. Sometimes - badly
> configured antispam.
>
> b) reverse - "i don't receive mail from someone".
>
> Because someone's MS exchange server didn't even try to send it.
>
> c) i'm getting some strange attachment that i cannot open. (winmail.dat)
>
> my answer: Ask sender to send attachments according to standards

Equivalents of all these can be presented the other way around against
badly configured free software solutions.
I'd rather say that the real problem is that Microsoft programs require
the same level of knowledge and expertise that, ehhhm, computer systems
require. They are just not presented that way, and create a culture of
"oh sure I can do this, so easy".
Exchange *can* be configured to actually deliver mail, it just attracts
all the wrong admins. And capable admins will just naturally opt for
other solutions.