[Dovecot] Outlook 2010 very slow when using IMAP - are there any tweaks?

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 09:38:22 EEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On 2.7.2012, at 19.12, Kaya Saman wrote:
>
>> what's really weird is that if I keep increasing the Cache TTL and
>> Cache size, the speed of transfer starts dropping.
>
> I think it may just be a coincidence that changing cache values appears to help, and the real reason maybe being just that Dovecot got restarted. Because if Outlook is using NTLM + winbind for authentication, the auth cache isn't used at all.

Thanks Giles and Timo :-)

So if I look at a different authentication mechanism say LDAP would it
improve performance?

There is currently a local AD in the network which I think piggy-backs
off the parent companies AD for mail.

If this is guarunteed to improve performance I don't mind taking the
time to learn LDAP integration; though I must say it took me quite a
while, several months in fact to learn NTLM and get it working - with
very little or no help from anyone on any associated list :-( .

Regards,

Kaya