[Dovecot] Outlook 2010 very slow when using IMAP - are there any tweaks?

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 09:58:08 EEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 7:46 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On 3.7.2012, at 9.38, Kaya Saman wrote:
>
>> So if I look at a different authentication mechanism say LDAP would it
>> improve performance?
>
> I doubt authentication has anything to do with why Outlook downloads mails slowly.
>
> But you could configure Outlook to use plaintext authentication instead of NTLM authentication to see if it makes a difference. No need to change anything on Dovecot side then.

I've just had a look and I don't think Outlook 2010 has that option.... ??

It might be that M$ decided to use auto authentication/negotiation as
to take away the hastle from potentially confused end users?

This is frustrating, using Thunderbird this setup works really well
however, my organization **requires** Outlook and the only
contectivity is to a remotely managed Exchange server (being connected
to over VPN to another country) and no **standard** protocols used,
just **Exchange** meaning I can't even connect to the server using a
'normal' client.

:-S Am totally lost now! - BUMP!

Regards,

Kaya