[Dovecot] Outlook 2010 very slow when using IMAP - are there any tweaks?

J E Lyon role.Dovecot-Readers at JLAssocs.com
Tue Jul 3 09:59:52 EEST 2012

On 3 Jul 2012, at 07:46, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 3.7.2012, at 9.38, Kaya Saman wrote:
>
>> So if I look at a different authentication mechanism say LDAP would it
>> improve performance?
>
> I doubt authentication has anything to do with why Outlook downloads mails slowly.
>
> But you could configure Outlook to use plaintext authentication instead of NTLM authentication to see if it makes a difference. No need to change anything on Dovecot side then.

It's a bit of a random tuppenyworth, but all my experience of slow Outlook clients seems to be local mail store sync work, perhaps garbage-collecting / defragmenting or something, but not actually getting the emails themselves . .

I have one particular client who reported issues yesterday as it happens -- all versions of Windows from XP thru Win7 running mostly older Outlook but a couple of 2010 clients -- and one particular user, logged in on only one particular workstation (Win7 & 2010 as it happens) experiences _colossal_ delays in waiting for mail to open or respond at times, and yet any other user, or moving to another machine, it's all swift and fine.

That smacks of a local desktop cache problem to me... All on the LAN, as well, no slow connections.

As I say, just 0.02 -- may not be overly relevant, but my instinct is that local storage with Outlook has significant possibility for issues.

J.