[Dovecot] Howto add another disk storage

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jul 8 12:55:40 EEST 2012

Am 08.07.2012 09:27, schrieb Steve Litt:
> On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 11:36:02 +0200, Reindl Harald said:
>> to believe under really high load a local storage
>> is faster at the end is bullshit!
>
> Can one even argue on one side or the other without knowing the speed
> of the network, and how much contention is on that network?

the SAN has normally it's own network

> My experience is that with a 100Mbs network, local is faster, although
> I've never had a SAN, so to speak, on the other end.

nobody is using 100 MBit for a SAN

> The specification of a SATA rev 3 is 6Gbs, which is a heck of a lot
> faster than 1Gbs per second spec of a gigabit network. Both have a lot
> of things slowing them from their spec, but I'd need to see some proof
> of an assertion that anything coming in over a 1Gbs wire can beat a
> SATA rev3 local disk.

there is more than the connection speed

6Gbsdo not help you much as long the physical disk can not
write in this speed and more concurretn writes making
this worser - so there are many things like big battery backed
caches fon a SAN which are imprtant for OVERALL performance