[Dovecot] Howto add another disk storage

Patrick Domack patrickdk at patrickdk.com
Mon Jul 9 02:24:15 EEST 2012

Quoting Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>:

>> is random seek latency.  And the faster the spindle, the lower the
>> latency.  Thus 15k Seagate SAS drives are excellent candidates for mail
>> store duty, as are any 10k or 15k drives.
> definitely not counting by $/IOPS rate. even worse looking with $/GB
> which is more important unless you make <1GB mail account.

It largely depends what type of users your supporting.

One system, I have 300 users, and it have an load on the drives of
 >500 iops a lot, need 8disk raid10 to support the load, about 300gigs
worth of email.

Another system, has 10's of k of users, storage of about 2tb and
normal usage of about 7k iops.

Both of these systems have a 10gig limit per user account. I find most
of the time users don't max out the mailstore, unless they stop using
that account.

So in both of my cases, $/IOPS is much more important than $/GB, as
the GB just goes to waste.