[Dovecot] Howto add another disk storage

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Mon Jul 9 22:29:19 EEST 2012

On 7/9/2012 3:17 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 09.07.2012 07:48, schrieb Wojciech Puchar:
>>> disagreed with my statement, then agreed with it.  Apparently you didn't
>>> realize you did so.  Would you please clarify what I stated that is
>>> "simply not true"?  You comment WRT SSD doesn't prove anything I said to
>>> be untrue.  Quite the contrary, you reinforced my statements.
>>>
>> Actually the only storage i use are mainstream SATA drives
>
> ouch - that said and your offlist discussion why SAN storages
> are crap for you gives a picture - nobody, really nobody is
> using SATA for any production-storage

That's simply not true Reindl.

SATA drives are being used very widely in production today, and
outnumber SAS deployments by a very wide margin.  For instance, web
servers, counting in the 10s of millions worldwide, use SATA drives
exclusively, where RAM is critical for performance, not disk.  You won't
find SAS drives in web farms simply due to cost.

Everyone doing D2D backup and nearline storage is using SATA today.  And
most everyone, from large enterprises, to K-12 schools, to SOHOs, use
SATA drives in front line file servers.

SAS is found today almost exclusively in high volume transactional
servers such as mail spools, mail stores, databases, VM image storage,
and applications that need higher reliability, such as medical imaging
systems, etc.

--
Stan