[Dovecot] ot: execute a script via email? [procmail]

Andrzej A. Filip andrzej.filip at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 00:38:00 EEST 2012

On 07/13/2012 09:06 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 13.07.2012 20:46, schrieb Wojciech Puchar:
>>> Stable release
>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle> 3.22 /
>>> September 10, 2001
>>> [...]
>>> Procmail is widely used on Unix
>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix>-based systems and stable, but no
>>> longer maintained; users who wish to use a maintained
>>> program are advised to use an alternative MDA, </quote>
>>>
>> can you explain what is wrong in using greatly working program just because there are no new versions?
>>
>> What kind of external "maintenance" you need for it?
>> Sorry but your warning is a pure nonsense. procmail is mature software and that's adventage
> http://www.cvedetails.com/product/392/Procmail-Procmail.html?vendor_id=225
>
> hopefully there will be not found any new
> security problem now withut get fixed
1) IMHO Stable stream of new versions usually indicate maintenance group
ready to fix would be vulnerabilities.
2) I miss LMTP support in procmail. AFAIR it has been supported in some
versions but current Debian version no longer mentions it in the man page.

10 years old version is something that IMHO must be mentioned when
recommending procmail. For some people it is not important, for some
people it is important information/hint.