[Dovecot] Issues with Plus addressing and detail part of subaddress.

Sean Kamath kamath at moltingpenguin.com
Thu Jul 19 09:57:22 EEST 2012

On Jul 18, 2012, at 12:51 AM, Sean Kamath wrote:
> Since dovecot-lda is passed the -d option, it's using that (and only that) for delivery.  Since there's no X-Original-To: header, it doesn't really have any option (since the non-envelope-to address might not exist, or point to something other than the end user's mailbox, etc).
>
> It would appear that I have two options:
>
> 1) Figure out what macro(s) is(are) valid to pass to dovecot-lda with the -a option in the sendmail config file (sendmail.cf).
>
> 2) Get sendmail to put "X-Original-To: <address>" in the header.
>
> Both would appear to be a sendmail issue, not a dovecot/pigeonhole issue.

OK, for the archives:

I went with Option 2.  In my sendmail.mc, I added:

LOCAL_CONFIG
H?${u}?X-Original-To: $u

This adds the header X-Original-To with the envelope recipient as the value.

Seems like a hack, but what can you do?  It works.

BTW: No one asked, but I thought I'd just mention that the reason I want to use the envelope recipient address is many bulk-mailing lists will use blind addressing, so you can't use the To: or Cc: headers effectively.

Anyway, sorry for the noise everyone.

Sean