[Dovecot] Confusion when trying to set up a first postfix+dovecot mailserver

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Sat Jul 21 14:07:27 EEST 2012

On 2012-07-21 12:35, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2012-07-21 5:24 AM, Hans J. Albertsson
> <hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se> wrote:
>> Also, Sorry if I sound like a whining kid: I am new to dovecot and
>> postfix, but I was a software support engineer for Sun for ages, and I
>> should really be able to manage this if I just had some consistent and
>> non-confusing HowTo or Tutorial to follow as a first try.
>
> 1. Which 'HowTo' were you following?
>
> 2. If it wasn't the dovecot 'official' docs on the wiki, try those:
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/
I followed the

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/ ->
HOWTOs, examples and tutorials
<http://wiki2.dovecot.org/#HOWTOs.2C_examples_and_tutorials> ->
_A simple virtual passwd file installation
<http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/SimpleVirtualInstall>_

HowTo.

> $random_howtos on the internet is not the way to build a secure mail
> server.
>
> Some of the wiki2 docs still have some v1 cruft in them, but for the
> most part they should be all you need (along with asking questions
> here for clarification), and it is a wiki - anything that you
> encounter that you find confusing or incomplete, by all means come
> here for clarification, and then update the wiki to help others who
> encounter the same issues as you.
>
> You haven't even provided the most basic of details of the problem(s)
> you're having (like, for example, OS/platform, dovecot -n output, logs
> exhibiting the problem(s), etc...
>
> First, take a step back, and start with one thing at a time (testing
> and making sure each step is working as expected before moving to the
> next one)...
>
> 1. install postfix, secure it, and get it delivering mail to at least
> one (test if desired) virtual domain/users maildirs using its built-in
> virtual delivery agent,
Done, tested, works.

> 2. add dovecot into the mix to serve up the users mail,
And that's where I get lost: I keep fiddling back and forth wondering
where I am...
I suppose I should instead think like this: (comment, please!)
     Read the HowTo
     Look at the text chunks
     For each element, find where that happens in conf.d, and do it
there, with the minimum change possible
And then the LDA and later LMTP. I suppose if one succeeds in getting
the LDA working, one can then move over to LMTP, with less effort?

> 3. switch to the dovecot delivery agent (I recommend LMTP, but at a
> minimum use the Dovecot LDA),
OK.