[Dovecot] what best for anti-spam filter?

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Jul 24 13:33:53 EEST 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 11:12 +0200, Warren Baker wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Morten Stevens
> <mstevens at imt-systems.com> wrote:
> > No, greylisting is really a bad solution. It is not RFC compliant and delays
> > the mail traffic.
>
> Since when? RFC5321 was updated to handle delays and then there is RFC6647.

When we looked at it years ago, it did little to stem the tide of spam,
all it did was over give us a negative impact by delays of legit mail,
some servers are also poorly configured and dont try resend for a long
period of time, especially if their queue is also loaded up, then
there's non compliant twits like a certain freemail service that does
not retry, period. Too many downfalls, it lasted all of a few days when
we tried it out. It might be acceptable for small SOHO, but it is
unacceptable for ISP's and hosting companies who process millions of
mails a day.