[Dovecot] what best for anti-spam filter?

Jacek Osiecki joshua at hybrid.pl
Tue Jul 24 17:23:28 EEST 2012

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 7/24/2012 7:13 AM, Morten Stevens wrote:

[...]
>> Jul 24 12:50:53 mx1 sendmail[32518]: q6OARUOM031928:
>> to=<manu at netbsd.org>, delay=00:23:23, xdelay=00:00:02, mailer=esmtp,
>> pri=332317, relay=mail.netbsd.org. [149.20.53.66], dsn=4.7.1,
>> stat=Deferred: 450 4.7.1 <manu at netbsd.org>: Recipient address rejected:
>> Greylisting in action, please try later
[...]
>> Greylisting in action, please try later
>> Jul 24 13:50:53 mx1 sendmail[1672]: q6OARUOM031928:
>> to=<manu at netbsd.org>, delay=01:23:23, xdelay=00:00:02, mailer=esmtp,
>> pri=602317, relay=mail.netbsd.org. [149.20.53.66], dsn=4.7.1,
>> stat=Deferred: 450 4.7.1 <manu at netbsd.org>: Recipient address rejected:
>> Greylisting in action, please try later

>> This is exactly the reason why greylisting is bad.

I'd say, when greylisting isn't set up correctly. One hour and still
greylisting the message? Come on...

> I have yet to hear of a bot that retries.  Thus, there's not reason to
> set a wait period more than a few seconds, causing the situation above.

Few seconds is much too short. One of our clients has over 20 servers
accross the country, with central GL database. Most of them are MX for the
domain, and each one is a storage for some subset of emails in this
domain. When a spambot tries to deliver a message, goes through all the
MXes - so it takes sometimes 20-30seconds for it to get through all of
them...

The initial pre-greeting delay is a good idea - although IMHO users
definitely should then use submission port (587) without this delay.

For GL, there is no point in setting times larger than few minutes. Bots
either don't retry to send email at all, or retry in legit times. On the
other hands, most of the spoiled mail servers (usually in larger
corporations) do few delivery retries within few seconds and then after
many hours...

So far, this client is still satisfied with GL (set to 10 minutes) since
it reduces spam amount by around 50% (about 3k messages a day). Sometimes,
when we have troubles with some servers - they are simply added to WL.
It doesn't happen too often, although this is a typical business - with
lots of mailing campanies, emails that sound as if it was a typical spam
etc. ;)

Greetings,
--
Jacek Osiecki joshua at ceti.pl GG:3828944
I don't want something I need. I want something I want.