[Dovecot] Problem with running two dovecot instances on the same server

Daniel Parthey daniel.parthey at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Jul 27 03:00:53 EEST 2012

Alexandr Sabitov wrote:
> The problem is when I run two instances of dovecot 2.1.8 which are
> one for proxy-director and another one is a regular one on the same
> server then I have big amount of strange entries in the
> /var/log/mail.err:
>
> Jul 26 11:51:20 dovecot-test-1 dovecot: director: Error: Empty server list
> Jul 26 11:51:20 dovecot-test-1 dovecot: director: Fatal: Invalid value for director_mail_servers setting
> Jul 26 11:51:20 dovecot-test-1 dovecot: master: Error: service(director): command startup failed, throttling for 60 secs
> Jul 26 11:52:20 dovecot-test-1 dovecot: director: Error: Empty server list
> Jul 26 11:52:20 dovecot-test-1 dovecot: director: Fatal: Invalid value for director_mail_servers setting
> Jul 26 11:52:20 dovecot-test-1 dovecot: master: Error: service(director): command startup failed, throttling for 60 secs

Does behaviour change when you are using more than a single
IP address on director_mail_servers variable?

Can you elaborate a bit more how the IP addresses are used
and on which hosts which IP is UP and running on which interface?

> That's for sure set->director_mail_servers variable in main_preinit of ./src/director/main.c
> But after dumping it it turns out that ppid of the process which
> failed to use main_preinit function is a "regular" dovecot not the
> proxy one.
> When main_preinit is used by dovecot-proxy then
> set->director_mail_servers = ip address of a mail server and it is
> all good
> but if  main_preinit is used by dovecot then
> set->director_mail_servers = empty and I get fatal errors in logs.
>
> So here is a question: How come that "non-proxy" dovecot requests
> director_mail_servers variable and writes fatal error in the logs if
> it doesn't find it ?

Maybe your director is not using the dovecot-proxy.conf?
Maybe a conflict between the sockets of the two instances?

Please show the output of the following commands:

# ps -ef|grep bin/dovecot|grep -v grep
# doveadm instance list

Regards
Daniel