[Dovecot] RAID1+md concat+XFS as mailstorage

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sun Jul 1 10:17:35 EEST 2012

On 6/30/2012 6:17 AM, Костырев Александр Алексеевич wrote:
> So, you say that one should use this configuration in production with
> hope that such failure would never happen?

No, I'm saying you are trolling.  A concat of RAID1 pairs has
reliability identical to RAID10.  I don't see you ripping a mirror pair
from a RAID10 array and saying RAID10 sucks.  Your argument has several
flaws.

In a production environment, a dead drive will be replaced and rebuilt
before the partner fails.  In a production environment, the mirror pairs
will be duplexed across two SAS/SATA controllers.

Duplexing the mirrors makes a concat/RAID1, and a properly configured
RAID10, inherently more reliable than RAID5 or RAID6, which simply can't
be protected against controller failure.

By stating the concat/RAID1 configuration is unreliable simply shows
your ignorance of storage system design and operation.

--
Stan