[Dovecot] Wrong headers in dovecot-crlf

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jul 3 03:37:20 EEST 2012

On 26.6.2012, at 21.55, Matthieu RAKOTOJAONA wrote:

> I'm using the very good imaptest [0] tool to test my little imap server
> implementation. I've tried to use the dovecot-crlf [1] file, but it looks like
> there are some major issues :
>
> $ grep -n "In-Reply-To.*;" tests/data/dovecot-crlf
> 479:In-Reply-To: <20020806175441.GA7148 at linux.taugt.net>; from
> rueckert at informatik.uni-rostock.de on Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 07:54:41PM +0200

Yes, those aren't valid RFC 2822 headers. I'm not entirely sure if they're valid RFC 822 headers.

> As you can see, many of the "In-Reply-To" headers are polluted with some junk.
> The situation is the same for many "Message-ID" headers.
>
> I don't know why they are here, but I think it's a mistake. I thought I would
> let you know.

They're there because those headers were sent originally to this list. I don't have any specific reason to modify the mails, and it might be better not to do it so that real world parsers can also figure out what to do with broken mails.