[Dovecot] Dovecot mailstorage migration uppon logging / delivery with dsync

Xavier Beaudouin kiwi at oav.net
Thu Jul 5 13:51:59 EEST 2012

Hi there,

I have a pretty standard setup with "simple" dovecot 2,0 configuration
(eg /var/mailboxes on NFS with old netapp) and local ldap directory and
Maildir.

I wanted to find a good way to migrate from NFS old netapp to NFS new
server (this one is not a netapp !).

There 3 kind way (according to my own experience)

- rsync old spool to new spool being patient stop services and then
doing last rsync and mount /var/mailboxes mount point from old netapp to
new nfs server).
- doing imap_login (and other stuff like this) doing an rsync per box
AFTER doing the first rsync with all boxes...
- using dsync to fetch the maildir stuff from old server to new one,
doing a simple flag, and doing "au fil de l'eau" migration.

The last one seems to me a good idea, but I cannot figure host to make
this correctly.

Any hints or do someone here has already done this kind of stuff?

Kind regards,

--
Xavier Beaudouin