[Dovecot] Compile issue Dovecot 2.1.8, OS X 10.6.x

Jim Jim at themailshack.com
Tue Jul 17 00:25:27 EEST 2012

Hey all.  I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.4, and had Dovecot 2.0.7 installed built from source.  I'm now wanting to upgrade to Dovecot 2.1.8, but I can't get MAKE to finish without errors:

./configure --with-mysql

(snip)

Install prefix . : /usr/local
File offsets ... : 64bit
I/O polling .... : kqueue
I/O notifys .... : kqueue
SSL ............ : yes (OpenSSL)
GSSAPI ......... : no
passdbs ........ : static passwd passwd-file pam checkpassword sql
                : -shadow -bsdauth -sia -ldap -vpopmail
userdbs ........ : static prefetch passwd passwd-file checkpassword sql
                : -ldap -vpopmail -nss
SQL drivers .... : mysql
                : -pgsql -sqlite
Full text search : squat
                : -lucene -solr

sudo make

(snip)

Undefined symbols:
 "_libiconv_open", referenced from:
     _charset_to_utf8_begin in libcharset.a(charset-iconv.o)
 "_libiconv", referenced from:
     _charset_to_utf8_reset in libcharset.a(charset-iconv.o)
     _charset_to_utf8 in libcharset.a(charset-iconv.o)
 "_libiconv_close", referenced from:
     _charset_to_utf8_end in libcharset.a(charset-iconv.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [libdovecot.la] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

The reason for the 'sudo make' was to get around a permissions issue, but I don't think that's related to my issue here.  I had build Dovecot 2.0.7 and earlier without issue on this system, but I'm a bit stumped on this particular problem.

I also found that the configure parameter --with-sql-drivers no longer seems to work, even though it's still shown in the wiki for 2.x.  As far as I can tell, I had used this parameter when compiling 2.0.7.