[Dovecot] emails are being marked as read auto-magically

Joe Beaubien joe.beaubien at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 16:41:27 EEST 2012

Hi,

I'm having a weird issue with dovecot 2.1.7 (using the latest thunderbird
client). Something, I have emails that mark themselves as read on their
own. No one touches them, and they get marked as read. I try to re-mark
them as unread, but a few seconds later, they get marked as read again. The
same problem happens in reverse (emails marks as unread become read).

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar?

I cannot see any warnings or errors in the dovecot logs, so I'm not sure if
the problem is with thunderbird or with dovecot. However, I have never had
this issue before switching from dovecot 1.0.X to dovecot 2.1.X.
Unfortunately, we updated the thunderbird versions around the same time,
so I feel like a dog chasing my tail on this issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

-Joe