[Dovecot] Enable ACL for master user

punit_j punit_j at rediffmail.com
Sun Jul 29 08:30:36 EEST 2012

Hi Team,

I have dovecot setup and I have enabled master User login in dovecot.conf file as below :-
auth_master_user_separator = *
passdb {
  driver = passwd-file
  args = /etc/dovecot/passwd.masterusers
  master = yes
  pass = yes
}
passdb {
  driver = shadow
}
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}

and craeted file. I can login to the user but what I see after login is  : -

Trying 0.0.0.0...
Connected to 0.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT LITERAL+ IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE LOGIN-REFERRALS UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.
a login user*masteruser password
a OK Logged in.
a list "" *
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Trash"
* LIST (\Unmarked) "." "INBOX"
a OK List completed.

However when I login as a normal user I see this : -

Connected to 0.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT LITERAL+ IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE LOGIN-REFERRALS UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.
a login user userpassword
a OK Logged in.
a list "" *
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Drafts"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Trash"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Sent items"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX"
a OK List completed.

I think its because of ACL for user and it is using masterusers ACL.

I looked at http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PostLoginScripting, however do we have sample
login script so that I can use that script with modifications.

Sorry I am new to dovecot.

Thanks and Regards.