[Dovecot] auth trouble

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 05:45:59 EEST 2012

Glenn English writes:

> I'm getting a lot of what I think is a local socket asking
> dovecot:auth to verify username/passwords:
>
>> May 31 09:00:54 server dovecot-auth: pam_unix(dovecot:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=dovecot ruser=admin rhost=

If dovecot-auth is getting input from a local socket, then rhost
information is irrelevant since the host doing the asking is the server
itself (maybe from another daemon connected to a remote host).

Maybe someone is brute forcing your server's Postfix authenticated
SMTP service since Postfix can be configured to use Dovecot's SASL
authentication framework.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>