[Dovecot] upgrade from 1.0.5 to 2.1.7

Andreas Meyer anmeyer at anup.de
Fri Jun 8 16:33:07 EEST 2012

Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 08.06.2012 13:05, schrieb Andreas Meyer:
> > I want to upgrade the docevot-installation from v 1.0.5 to 2.1..7
> > Now I get the following executing
> > doveconf -n -c /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf > /home/mail1/dovecot-2.conf
> >
> > doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:217: add auth_ prefix to all settings inside auth {} and remove the auth {} section completely
> > doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:219: passdb passwd-file {} has been replaced by passdb { driver=passwd-file }
> > doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:222: userdb passwd-file {} has been replaced by userdb { driver=passwd-file }
> >
> > The section  at line 217 looks like this:
> >
> > auth default {
> >   mechanisms = plain
> >   passdb passwd-file {
> >   args = /etc/dovecot/passwd
> >   }
> >   userdb passwd-file {
> >   args = /etc/dovecot/passwd
> >   }
> >
> > How do I change it to fullfill the new needs?
> >
> > And how do I handle line 217?
> > add auth_ prefix to all settings inside auth {} and remove the auth {} section completely
>
> what exactly are you not understanding here?
> this is a very clear message

I find the message very confusing. It says to do all settings inside auth {} and
then to remove the auth {} section. With v1.0.5 I do have an auth default {} section
and a section ## Authentication processes.

> below a partly output from a working 2.1.7
>
> auth_mechanisms                = CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 APOP LOGIN PLAIN
> auth_worker_max_count          = 100
> auth_cache_size                = 32768
> auth_cache_ttl                 = 1800
> auth_cache_negative_ttl        = 1800
> auth_username_chars            = abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ01234567890.-_@%
> auth_username_translation      = %@AaBbCcDdEeFfGgHhIiJjKkLlMmNnOoPpQqRrSsTtUuVvWwXxYyZz
> auth_debug                     = no
> auth_debug_passwords           = no
> auth_verbose                   = no

Thank you! I found section ## Authentication processes but when I add

auth_passdb {
    args = /etc/dovecot/passwd
      driver = passwd-file
    }
auth_userdb {
    args = /etc/dovecot/passwd
      driver = passwd-file
    }

I get an error:
doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 709: Unknown setting: auth_passdb

Where do I put the passdb and userdb sections?

  Andreas