[Dovecot] director and doveadm server

Daniel Parthey daniel.parthey at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat Jun 9 23:04:53 EEST 2012

Hello Angel,

Angel L. Mateo wrote:
>	I've been reading doc at http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Director to
> configure my servers. My question is regarding configuration of
> doveadm server.
>
>	I have configured both, director and backend servers, as described
> in that doc, but I don't know how to run doveadm commands in
> director servers.
>
>	doveadm is working, because I can run commands, but they are
> executed in local (director) server.

See
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Mailbox
doveadm help
doveadm help who

A few doveadm commands allow the -S socket_path argument
where socket_path can be a hostname:port combination of
your director doveadm service:

  altmove      [-u <user>|-A] [-S <socket_path>] [-r] <search query>
  expunge      [-u <user>|-A] [-S <socket_path>] <search query>
  fetch        [-u <user>|-A] [-S <socket_path>] <fields> <search query>
  force-resync [-u <user>|-A] [-S <socket_path>] <mailbox>
  index        [-u <user>|-A] [-S <socket_path>] <mailbox mask>
  move         [-u <user>|-A] [-S <socket_path>] <destination> <search query>
  purge        [-u <user>|-A] [-S <socket_path>]
  search       [-u <user>|-A] [-S <socket_path>] <search query>

The http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Director article explains
how to set up a "Doveadm server" on a specific port.

After you have set up your doveadm server correctly,
an example command might look like this:

doveadm search -A -S director:24245 mailbox "*" all

>	but doveadm who seems to be executed just in local:

For "doveadm who" however, you need a local anvil socket,
which provides the necessary information:

doveadm who -a /var/run/dovecot/anvil

Remember there is also the proxy list command,
since the director is just a proxy with a hash table
which always proxies the same username to the same backend:

doveadm proxy list

> And another question about this... what is the local config option?
> I haven't found it documented anywhere.

I assume the local { } section is to restrict the inside
options to client IPs located in a specific subnet.

Regards
Daniel