[Dovecot] Dovecot auth process delays exiting if LDAPS passdb used

SATOH Fumiyasu fumiyas at osstech.jp
Mon Jun 11 18:24:44 EEST 2012

At Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:30:59 +0300,
Timo Sirainen wrote:

> > Yes. I can reproduce with dovecot 1:2.1.7-1 (Debian unstable package)
> > with PAM passdb. This PAM environment is configured for
> > local UNIX passwd file only (no LDAP).
>
> I can't reproduce this. I installed the 1:2.1.7-1 Debian unstable package. Put your dovecot.conf to /etc/dovecot/. Did:
>
> /etc/init.d/dovecot start
> telnet localhost 143
> x login foo bar
> x logout
> /etc/init.d/dovecot stop
>
> No dovecot processes left.

If an auth client remains a connection to dovecot/auth,
dovecot/auth does NOT exit immediately when dovecot master exits.

(1) Install Postfix and Dovecot.

      # apt-get install postfix dovecot

(2) Configure Postfix /etc/postfix/main.cf with the following:

      smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
      smtpd_sasl_security_options =
      smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
      smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

(3) Configre Dovecot /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-master with the following:

      service auth {
        unix_listener auth-userdb {
        }
          mode = 0666
        }
      }

(4) Start postfix and dovecot service.

  # /etc/init.d/dovecot start
  # /etc/init.d/postfix start

(5) Invoke Postfix smtpd(8), it connects to dovecot/auth socket.

      $ telnet localhost 25
      Trying 127.0.0.1...
      Connected to localhost.
      Escape character is '^]'.
      220 sugar.osstech.co.jp ESMTP Postfix
      AUTH PLAIN dummy
      535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed:
      QUIT
      221 2.0.0 Bye
      Connection closed by foreign host.

    Or use netcat-openbsd to connect to dovecot/auth socket:

      # nc.openbsd -U /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-auth &

(6) Stop dovecot service.

  # /etc/init.d/dovecot stop

--
-- Name: SATOH Fumiyasu (fumiyas @ osstech co jp)