[Dovecot] Import from Evolution

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Sat Jun 16 23:16:36 EEST 2012

* Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net>:
> I need to import the mail database generated by the evolution mail
> reader into dovecot.  Evolution stores its mail in maildir format (fully
> standards compatible, I think); I would be using the maildir format in
> dovecot.  Is there anything in the wiki, etc. explaining exactly how to
> do this?
>
> Why do this?  Evolution is hopelessly broken, and is not likely to be
> fixed in the forseeable future, and I would like to keep my mails in
> maildir form.  Reviews of kmail are very bad, and thunderbird uses the
> mbox format for storage.

If it is native maildir you can configure that/your account to use maildir and
simply copy your mailbox over to Dovecot. When Dovecot accesses the mailbox it
will create the necessary index files and you are ready to use it.

p at rick

--
state of mind ()

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666