[Dovecot] dovecot 2.1.5 performance

Angel L. Mateo amateo at um.es
Thu Jun 21 11:44:56 EEST 2012

El 20/06/12 12:05, Timo Sirainen escribió:

>> default_process_limit = 1000
>
> Since you haven't enabled high-performance mode for imap-login processes
> and haven't otherwise changed the service imap-login settings, this
> means that you can have max. 1000 simultaneous IMAP SSL/TLS connections.

	According to http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LoginProcess

Since one login process can handle only one connection, the service's
process_limit setting limits the number of users that can be logging in
at the same time (defaults to default_process_limit=100).

	I understood this as there can only be up to 100 (or 1000 in my case)
concurrently trying to log in, but once the user logs, the imap-login
process ends (starting corresponding imap processes) and another users
could log in. So there could be more than 100 users connected, but up to
100 trying to connect. Am I wrong?

	If I am wrong, why in my system there is no imap-login processes (or
just a few) but a lot of imap?