[Dovecot] Dovecot performance under high load (vs. Courier)

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Fri Jun 22 00:48:31 EEST 2012

On 21/06/2012 21:54, Reindl Harald wrote:
> and last but not least i have lesser entries in maillog which
> goes to a central mysql-server for self-developed web-interfaces

I recently added imapproxy to my Roundcube installation.  Benchmarks
showed a very slight slowdown, but as you point out it reduced the login
count from dovecot and I use a login script to kind of report last login
/ length of session and this tallies better with an imap desktop user now

I think the conclusion is that imapproxy is not necessary.  There are
some advantages (eg with high network latency between web and imap
server, and reducing apparent login count), and some disadvantages
(extra complexity, slowdown)

On average I think few users should use it.. Or at least benchmark and
add it reluctantly...

Ed