[Dovecot] Hardware infrastructure for email system

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Sun Jun 24 00:13:28 EEST 2012

On 23/06/12 19:21, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> ALT storage, so for instance you could keep your indexes in a RAID10
>> of SSDs, recent email on a RAID10 of 10kRPM/15kRPM SAS drives, and
>> older email can go on a load of 5k/7.2k SATA drives in RAID6, or on a
>> NAS via NFS.
>
> far better solution but still about 2-3 times more $/performance than
> needed, and more complex than needed.
>
> But at least an improvement

I'd respectfully disagree. If you only keep the most recent few weeks of
email you could use reasonably priced SSDs for the indexes and perhaps
downgrade to SATA for your "hot" store, both of which should be max 10%
of your total space with more than a few months of email. My driving
factor was to have different spindle sets for each purpose. Who knows, I
might have overspent and could have done it with 3 separate SATA arrays.

OTOH what about an SSD caching kit on your server? Supermicro at least
do them (well, my UK vendor offers them). Just have a load of big SATA
drives and use the kit for caching. The last time I looked a 256GB kit
was about UKP 500.

Cheers

Alex

--
This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information.  Unless you are that person, you may not

"Transact" is operated by Integrated Financial Arrangements plc
Domain House, 5-7 Singer Street, London  EC2A 4BQ
Tel: (020) 7608 4900 Fax: (020) 7608 5300
(Registered office: as above; Registered in England and Wales under number: 3727592)
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (entered on the FSA Register; number: 190856)