[Dovecot] 2.0.19 segfault

Robin dovecot at r.paypc.com
Sun Jun 24 02:57:09 EEST 2012

On 6/23/2012 3:27 PM, Mailing List SVR wrote:
> I looked at the code and there was no relevant change from dovecot
> 2.0.13 and dovecot 2.0.19, upgrading between ubuntu releases updated
> openssl too and this could be the problem,
>
> however is not clear to me while imap over ssl works fine with
> thunderdird and I see the crash in the logs for customers that seems to
> use ms outlook,

There have been many interactions between OpenSSL (and some other SSL
implementations) and some versions of schannel.dll (the system library
responsible for SSL connections, used by Outlook and Internet Explorer,
amongst other tools).

M$ has released hotfixes addressing various problems in schannel.dll in
the past, such as: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933430

There is a fair bit of write-up online about how to configure your SSL
servers to avoid problematic ciphers and socket configurations that help
you avoid tripping over most of the bugs.

For example: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/ssl/ssl_faq.html#msie

Whenever SSL is involved in the transaction process, always include it
in your debug process as SSL negotiation is non-trivial and has been
often fraught with some peril.

=R=