[Dovecot] 2.1.7 TLS issues

Christian Rößner c at roessner-network-solutions.com
Sun Jun 24 23:20:05 EEST 2012

>> I have an interesting problem: I am building dovecot packages for Ubuntu since 10.04. Never had bigger trouble with it. Now since 2.1.6 or 2.1.7 (I can not say more precisely), Thunderbird 10ESR and Outlook 2010 can no longer use 143/TLS correctly. Automx delvers 143/TLS and Outlook tells me that it can not create a secure connection. I changed automx to use 993/SSL and everything works. Under Thunderbird 10ESR, I get a box that tells me that I need to change settings. When I sent mail, TB told me that it could not copy the mail to the sent folder. I also changed to 993/SSL and everything is perfect.
>>
>> At the other and, Apples Mail.app and iOS devices work perfectly over 143/TLS. So my guess is that it has to do with OpenSSL. Did something change in dovecot concerning TLS? Can I change options in the built process?
>
> What was the Dovecot version you were using previously which worked?

I am not sure which version worked. My best guess is 2.1.4 or 2.1.5, because I skipped 2.1.6. But 2.1.6 has the same issues, as my friend Uwe did report the same issues with that one.

@Robert: I am talking about Ubuntu 10.04, so this can not be a problem with openssl itself, as that did not change

-Christian Rößner

---
Roessner-Network-Solutions