[Dovecot] Virtual users - what is better Maildir or mbox?

Trever L. Adams trever at middleearth.sapphiresunday.org
Mon Jun 25 10:27:41 EEST 2012

On 06/25/2012 01:20 AM, Kaya Saman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to configure a server to use SAMBA and Winbind to
> authenticate to Active Directory.... I managed to get this portion up
> and running even the Dovecot portion.
>
> For reference something similar to this guide:
>
> http://www.whitneytechnologies.com/?p=119
>

> However PAM is slightly different:
>

> # cat /etc/pam.d/dovecot
> auth        sufficient   pam_krb5.so no_user_check validate
> account     sufficient   pam_permit.so
>

> This is what my dovecot.conf file looks like:
If you are using Samba 4 (possibly recent versions of S3), any reason
you are not doing krb5 and ldap (for account verification, not
authentication) on dovecot instead of through pam? It is a bit harder to
setup, but no text passwords. I still do pam_krb5 for devices that
cannot do kerberos.

I am using Maildir, but my setup is currently largely idle.

Trever
--
"Marxist Law of Distribution of Wealth: Shortages will be divided
equally among the peasants." -- Unknown