[Dovecot] Setting up mixed mbox and maildir

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Jun 27 01:10:33 EEST 2012

on 6/26/2012 2:19 PM Jonathan Ryshpan spake the following:
> On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 13:48 -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
>> on 6/26/2012 1:35 PM Jonathan Ryshpan spake the following:
>>> I'm trying to set up a dovecot server for which mail arrives in an mbox,
>>> and mail is stored in a maildir.  The wiki (see
>>> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Namespaces) refers to this as "Mixed mbox and
>>> Maildir".  It advises handling this situation by creating two
>>> namespaces: one for the mbox and the other for the maildir. Each of
>>> these namespaces starts with
>>> 	namespace private {
>>>
>>> On the other hand the sample configuration in the documentation puts
>>> inbox in a namespace starting with:
>>>         namespace inbox {
>>>           # Namespace type: private, shared or public
>>>           #type = private
>>>
>>> It appears that there has been a change in the configuration syntax
>>> after the wiki was written, and that the word following namespace
>>> no longer gives a property of the namespace, but rather its name.
>>> Is this correct?  In any case, how should the configuration be modified
>
>> If you are working with 2.0 or later dovecot, you should be at
>> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Namespaces
>
> I am using 2.1.7 .  I surmise from this Namespace page that the form:
> 	namespace <type> {
> where <type> is one of "public", "private", or "shared" creates an
> unnamed namespace of type <type> while the form:
> 	namespace <name> {
> where <name> is none of "public", "private", or "shared", creates a
> namespace with the name <name> and the default type (unspecified on this
> page, but probably private).  The namespace can be given the type
> desired by an (undocumented) namespace setting:
> 	namespace inbox (
> 		type = <type>
> Is this correct?
>
> Thanks - jon

I am not sure, as I am using pure maildir... Follow the wiki, as there is an
example there for mbox inbox and maildir message store...

Mixed mbox and Maildir

If you have your INBOX as mbox in /var/mail/username and the rest of the
mailboxes in Maildir format under ~/Maildir, you can do this by creating two
namespaces:

namespace {
  separator = /
  prefix = "#mbox/"
  location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
  inbox = yes
  hidden = yes
  list = no
}