[Dovecot] permissions on auth-userdb

Wed Jun 27 15:34:18 EEST 2012

On 2012-06-27 8:29 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On 23.6.2012, at 13.34, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> It would be nice if there were a wiki page specifically describing
>> how permissions should be set for all of the services/directories
>> that dovecot uses.
>>
>> Even better would be a dovecot/doveconf command that would test the
>> permissions and, if possible, even fix them (like the postfix
>> 'set-permissions' command)...

> The problem with those is that it depends on the installation. Each
> user may need different permissions. Many installations don't have a
> way to list users to even do a userdb lookup. I guess it would be
> possible to write such a tool for specific installations where it
> could work, but it wouldn't work everywhere.

Hmmm... I wonder how postfix does it then... maybe it doesn't have as
many potential variations I guess?

Is there maybe just a basic/standard set of permissions that can work
for many installations, then have a way to detect non-standard installs
and just provide a link to a wiki page describing things in more detail?

Is there a wiki page for this already? I didn't find one...

--

Best regards,

Charles