[Dovecot] question about changing certificate

oni-neko at gmx.net oni-neko at gmx.net
Mon Jun 11 15:28:37 EEST 2012

Good day!

I'm having trouble changing certificate/keys for my dovecot(version 1.2.9).
When I set up the server (unbuntu lts 10.4.4) I did it with a self-signed certificate. I can't remember exactly what I did, just that I followed the wiki and it worked fine =)

Now I have to change the certificate because a friend bought an official one (from thawte) and I'm a bit stumped.
As dovecot can use supposedly use the same file for both key and cert file, I copied the new certificate to /etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem and to /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem.

next I get from managesieve-login, pop3-login and imap-login the following log entries:
Fatal: Can't load private key file /etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem: Key is for a different cert than /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem

some googling brought up the file ssl-cert-snakeoil.key in /etc/ssl/private and /etc/ssl/certs that some people change in that context. As I also have a symlink /etc/ssl/private/ssl-mail.key that points to /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key I'm starting to be confused (even more). dovecot is using the dovecot.pem-files, who/what uses the ssl-mail.key?

I'm pretty sure I'm just overlooking something completely obvious, but what? =)

greetings
silvia