[Dovecot] Dovecot Maildir - How to Seperate mail folders

Guido Weiler weiler.guido at bergersysteme.com
Mon Jun 18 12:17:05 EEST 2012

Hi Timo,

thank you very much for your quick reply. I tried that but it is not possible to SELECT such a mailbox.

I have in dovecot.conf:
---
mail_location=maildir:/data/messages%h

namespace private {
  separator = /
  prefix =
  location = maildir:/data/messages%h
  inbox = yes
  list = yes
}

namespace public {
  separator = /
  prefix = greetings/
  location = maildir:/data/greetings%h
  inbox = no
  list = yes
  hidden = yes
}
---

Messages are coming in from EXIM separated by a special HEADER into this two folders.
For INBOX this works fine but not for greetings, although the maildir files are being created upon delivery.

Sample IMAP Session AFTER delivering a greeting-type message:

---
01 OK Logged in.
>> 02 list "" "*"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "greetings"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "greetings/INBOX"
02 OK List completed.
>> 03 select "greetings/INBOX"
03 NO Mailbox doesn't exist: INBOX
>> 04 select greetings
04 NO Mailbox doesn't exist: greetings

---

What is this "\Noselect" mailbox showing up and why is it saying "greetings/INBOX" in the third row when in fact there isn't a mailbox with this name?

I am very sorry for having to bother you again, but I don't know what we are doing wrong here.
(Dovecot version is 1.1.16)

Guido Weiler