[Dovecot] Multiple locations, 2 servers - planning questions...

Sat Mar 3 22:20:24 EET 2012

Thanks very much for taking the time for your detailed reply, Stan, but
I'll need more time to study it...

On 2012-03-02 4:17 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
<snip>
> My gut instinct, based on experience and the match, is that a single GbE
> inter site MAN link will be plenty, without the need to duplicate server
> infrastructure.

I just wanted to point out one thing - I have two primary goals - yes,
one is to maximize performance, but the other is accomplish a level of
*redundancy*...

Also - I already have the servers (I have 3 Poweredge 2970's available
to me, only one of which is currently being used)...

So, the only extra expenses involved will be relatively minor hardware
expenses (multi-port Gb NICs), and some consulting services for making
sure I implement the VM environment (including the routing) correctly.

So, honestly, we'd be incurring most of these expenses anyway, even if
we didn't set up redundant servers, so I figure why not get redundancy
too (now is the time to get the boss to pay for it)...

--

Best regards,

Charles